SC - Recipe 6-Weekend of Wisdom

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Oct 28 16:20:01 PDT 1999

Gee, this sounds silly, but as i said my computer lost all the
messages from the list i had been saving. so now all i have are 3
weeks of messages :-(

So, what books would make up a good library for SCA period cookery?

I have a preference for food from the Mediterranean, and while i like
to learn about food in other places, that is my personal focus.

So far, i have:

- -- downloaded all the Middle Eastern recipes on line in Lord
Cariadoc's Miscellany and any others i could find in the Florilegium.

- -- "A Taste of Ancient Rome" by Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa

- -- "The Medieval Kitchen : Recipes from France and Italy" by Redon,
Sabban, and Serventi

- -- "Pleyn Delit" by Hieatt, Hosington, and Butler (most recent edition)

- -- "Early French Cookery" by D. Eleanor and Terence Scully

- -- "A Drizzle of Honey" (which is useful, even with my previously
mentioned reservations)

- -- "The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Opened"

I also have "A Medieval Health Manual: Tacuinum Sanitas", Culpepper's
Herbal, and Reay Tannahill's "Food in History"

I am intending to get:
- -- Cindy Renfrow's "Take a Thousand Eggs"
- -- Lord Cariadoc's 2 volume collection of cookbooks
- -- Barbara Santich's "Original Mediterranean Cuisine"
and
- -- Platina - but since i lost all the messages, i don't remember
which version was the one most recommended by listees?

Anything else i *really really* ought to have?

Thanks for any other pointers,

Anahita
Feeling a bit silly for bringing up this no doubt ancient and oft
repeated question.