SC - Recipes 5 & 6

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 21:51:18 PDT 1999

- -

>In a message dated 10/28/99 2:17:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>kerric at pobox.alaska.net writes:
>
><< How was broth made? And from what? >>

    The "Good Book"  (Joy of Cooking) says that broth "unlike stocks, which
are made primarily from bones, broths are made from meat (except veggie
broth) and they cook for shorter periods of time.  The resulting liquid has
a fresher, more definable flavor but less body than a stock.  For this
reason, broths are ideal for soups."

ABOUT STOCKS: the characteristics of any good stock are flavor, body and
clarity.  Of the three, flavor is paramount, and the way to get it is by
using a high porportion of ingredients to water.  The most flavorful stocks
are made with only enough water to cover the bones, shells, or veggies.
    Instead of calling for tender, young ingredients, stocks are best made
with meat from older animals and mature veggies, cooked slowly for a long
time to extract every vestige of flavor.

    Because I was starting to wonder about "good broth" myself, and then
what the diff was between broth and stock.

    Caointiarn