SC - period cooking (LONG!)

Kappler, MMC Richard A. KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil
Fri Oct 29 06:45:39 PDT 1999

Cadoc wrote:
>From my experience, Broth is just liquid meat has been cooked in and stock
has the layers of flavors from different elements.  Veggie broth is stock.
Meat with Veggies is stock.<

    No, the two are different.  broth is cooked in a shorter time, using
fresher ingredients, for a fresher more definable flavor; has less body.

    Stock is using more mature meats/bones/shell/ veggies, cooks a heck of a
long time, has  lots of body, and uses less liquid for ratio of ingredients.

    The Joy of Cooking (where I got my info)  yields 3 whole pages to Stock,
(rules for stock making, seasonig stock, straining and storing, reducing
stock to a glaze) and the unique characteristics, before getting to recipes,
and only a 2 paragraph blurb for broth.

Caointiarn