SC - Liber Cure Cocorum: I.L.L. Follies of 1999 (long)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Oct 29 08:07:51 PDT 1999

Gentles,

I believe the original question was, "What did medieval cooks mean by
'good broth'?"  They seem to have used the term for any kind of flavored
liquid made by cooking meat, poultry or fish in water.  I have not seen
the word "stock" used in any of the medieval cookbooks.  Broth seems
to be the term used to describe the whole spectrum of flesh-based
liquids.

In the Spanish sources that I know best, "good broth" is usually chicken
or mutton.  Some recipes specify that the broth should be fatty or lean,
well-salted or bland, according to the nature of the dish, but not how
strong it is, nor how it is made.  The only recipes that specify a
concentrated broth are those for "solsido", which is a specialty dish for
invalids, made by slowly cooking a hacked-up chicken in little or no
water.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)