SC - Russian dishes

Traci_Bjers@radian.com Traci_Bjers at radian.com
Fri Oct 29 09:41:40 PDT 1999

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> Gentles,
>
> I believe the original question was, "What did medieval cooks mean by
> 'good broth'?"  They seem to have used the term for any kind of flavored
> liquid made by cooking meat, poultry or fish in water.  I have not seen
> the word "stock" used in any of the medieval cookbooks.  Broth seems
> to be the term used to describe the whole spectrum of flesh-based
> liquids.
>
> In the Spanish sources that I know best, "good broth" is usually chicken
> or mutton.  Some recipes specify that the broth should be fatty or lean,
> well-salted or bland, according to the nature of the dish, but not how
> strong it is, nor how it is made.  The only recipes that specify a
> concentrated broth are those for "solsido", which is a specialty dish for
> invalids, made by slowly cooking a hacked-up chicken in little or no
> water.

True. It'd probably be worth looking at some sources in their original
language. Some French recipes roughly equivalent to identifiable English
counterparts seem to use a word along the lines of bouillion, I think,
rather than anything like fond, which is the modern French term for what
we know as stock.

I'd say, offhand, that when the source meat is identified at all, in
English sources, the meat for the broth tends to be either beef (more
likely something along the lines of a white beef stock, not the brown
stuff) or capons. Mutton somewhat less often. Probably you boil either
meat, usually in water, sometimes spiked with vinegar and/or wine, use
some, or half, of your bouillion, with the meat, for your sauced meat
dish, then reserve the rest of the bouiilion. Then there's the
possibility of that Eternal Stockpot thang, in which case your Good
Broth might be a sort of mutant composite stuff. I'm inclined to think,
though, that the concept of boiling everything in one pot is a little
less common than some believe.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy