SC - Period Kinds of apples/Pears

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 29 10:37:13 PDT 1999

I have a copy of a volume of two pamphlets, called the Fruit Variety
Register 1580-1600, by Stuart Peachey.  Vol 1 is Apples - Mulberry, Vol. 2
is Nectarins-Walnuts.

  Some varieties that I have seen for sale in current times that are listed
in this book are:

   Pippins. (there were many different kinds of Pippins--red, yellow and
green)

   Greenings

I think both of these can be used as cooking apples.  I know you are all
wondering where I saw these.  I have to admit it beats the daylights out of
me, since we spend the fall picking up large quantities of 'storables for
winter' in a bunch of different places.  I would imagine it was one of
those fruit stand sort of places that are currently selling large
quantities of apples, pumpkins, squash, and onions.  I would check with any
local orchards in your area, if there are any.

I did a search on the net for Greening apples and found out there is a page
dedicated the  the Rhode Island greening which was 'created in 1796'.
Here's the url for a better description:
http://www.food.epicurious.com/c_play/c04_victual/apples/rhodeisland.html

I also searched for pippin here's the description in which they are
described as an all purpose apple:

http://www.food.epicurious.com/c_play/c04_victual/apples/pippin.html

I forgot to look yesterday when we visited Och's Orchard in Warwick, NY (we
went there for Staymen Winesaps).

I have to admit I hardly ever buy apples in the supermarket.  The only ones
I ever buy in the supermarket are Braeburn apples, they are currently my
favorite eating apple, although the winesap was very crisp and slightly
sour which was really tasty.

As far as Pears go, Russets was the only modern Pear name that I remember.

Hope the information helps.

	Angeline