SC - seasonal hazards...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Oct 31 19:23:51 PST 1999

In a message dated 10/31/99 7:47:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< As I say, I should have the second half, in a good clean copy, by the
 middle of next week. I think I'll be able to get a copy of that to Cindy
 Renfrow in hopes that it will be webbed.

Hooray!

I say this with earnest. I have been searching for some articles on the Roman
military diet for over 3 weeks. I even have the titles, authors and dates and
so far have had no luck. When someone finds something as valuable as this
manuscript, we should make every effort to disseminate the fruits of our
labour.

Along a similar vein, I had the pleasure of discussing some issues with
Terrence Scully, regarding the early French "Enseignments", and he advised me
of a program available from the U of Toronto, that can allow you to compare
recipes to other recipes. Here is a snip of the email:

  " The most useful tool for comparative study of this early material, I've
found, is a computer program from the University of Toronto (free), called
TACT, that takes any text in its original language and can find instances
of words (e.g. ingredients, dish names) and combinations of words, either
adjacent or in close proximity (e.g. ingedients) -- provided you do the
work of listing all linguistic forms (in all languages) of each thing
(ingredient, dish name, etc.). Someone in the U of Windsor's literature
departments or computing dept. can undoubtedly give you a copy of TACT.
This will involve a good bit of long-term work, but pays off enormously in
the long run, I feel.- Terrence Scully"

I will be contacting the U of W's depts on Monday and hoping to get this
asap. I will post my findings when something comes of it.

In service,
Hauviette