SC - Italian Cuisine

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Oct 2 00:13:49 PDT 1999

Lady Catherine asked:
> I am un-lurking for the moment to ask if anyone knows of any good sources
> for recipes from Italy, and its surrounding provinces.  I am undertaking a
> research project on Italian food, preferably before the introduction of
> Pasta.  ANy and all help would be appreciated

Pasta was available in Italy long before Marco Polo's trip to China as
we've discussed here before, so I'm not sure when you really want info
on. Apicius and late Roman cooking? It sounds like what you are looking for
is really middle to late Middle Ages.

You might be interested in these files in the FOOD section of my
Florilegium:
fd-Italy-msg      (16K)  9/29/98    Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
pizza-msg         (15K) 12/ 3/98    Period pizza and similar items.
pasta-msg         (72K)  5/ 6/99    Period pasta. Period referances. Recipes.

This file in the FOOD-BOOKS section might be useful if you are looking
for earlier stuff:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (38K)  4/21/99    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****