SC - Spanish salmon recipe (was: Spanish noodles)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Oct 2 23:03:41 PDT 1999

I had offered:
>> We also tried the salmon recipe you posted here; I'll post our version of
>> that if people like.

and Brighid replied:
>Please do!  I'm still very new at redacting, and would love to see what an
>experienced cook does with that one.

I'm actually not that experienced with fish, but this is what I came up with.

CAZUELA DE SALMON -- Salmon Casserole
from _Libro de Guisados_ by Ruperto de Nola (Spanish, 1529)
translation Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba, Settmour Swamp (Robin
Carroll-Mann)

You must take the clean and well-washed salmon; and put it in a casserole
with your spices which are: galingale, and a little pepper and ginger and
saffron; and all of this well ground, and cast upon the fish with salt, and
a little verjuice or orange juice, and let it go to the fire of embers; and
then take blanched almonds and raisins and pine nuts and all herbs.  That
is, moraduj, which is called marjoram, and parsley, and mint; and when the
casserole is nearly half-cooked cast all this inside.

1.9 lb salmon
1/2 t galingale
1/8 t pepper
1/4 t ginger
15 threads saffron
1/4 t salt
3 T verjuice (or sour orange juice)
1/4 c blanched almonds
3 T raisins
1 T pine nuts
1 t fresh marjoram
1 T fresh parsley
1 t fresh mint

Put salmon fillets in heavy pot and sprinkle on spices and verjuice. Cover
and put on stove. I put it on as low a heat as the stove allows, then
chopped the herbs and got the nuts and raisins ready. After 20 minutes the
verjuice in the pot was hot but not yet boiling and I turned it up slightly
until it was at a simmer (another 5 minutes) and then turned it almost all
the way down. 15 minutes later I added the remaining ingredients, 10
minutes after that, it was done.

Comments: good; next time, turn the heat up a bit more at the beginning
(medium low or so) and turn down after it is at a simmer; maybe more
verjuice; chop herbs very fine.

It came out looking very Nouvelle Cuisine--the contrasting colors of the
salmon, herbs, white nuts, and raisins, and the use of such ingredients as
pine nuts, saffron, and verjuice. We don't have sour oranges yet--Cariadoc
planted a tree, but it was less than a year ago.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook