SC - ancient pasta

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 3 05:58:51 PDT 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/2/1999 4:20:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de writes:
>
> <<
<snip>
>  (roughly:
>  'thin cake, baked in oil' (Celsus, Horaz), 'sheet of dough' (Apicius)).
>  André, in his edition of Apicius, says _laganum_ 'feuille de pâte'
>  ('sheet of dough'). The etymological dictionary of Italian of
>  Cortelazzo/ Zolli does not mention a connection between lat. _laganum_
>  and it. _lasagne_.  >>
>
> Hmmm, of course, my homemade lasagne noodles are made from a "sheet of
> dough"...........but of course, that means nothing.........I'm sure your
> source is impeccably accurate........can't really tell, must depend on your
> translation..............
>
> Mordonna

Approaching this from another angle, if not any more impeccable, I refer
you to the English recipes for loseyns, which appear as though they
might be named for the pasta cut into a certain size and shape. The
modern term would be lozenges, which has both culinary and heraldic
connotations in period, with a mostly medicinal definition today, still
based on shape. This is a sort of common-sense guess, and I don't have
supporting info from a dictionary or anything.

Similiarly, though, pappardelle (a wide-noodle pasta similar to lasagne,
although not generally served in layers today) appear as though they
might be named for their shape ("pieces of paper", or something close to
that) and exist in period English recipes which suggest they're
culinarily interchangable with loseyns.

Possibly an Italian heraldry book might tell us if lozenge-shaped fields
for ladies' devices were used in period, and if so, what they were called?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com