SC - Re: Funeral Feasts

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 18:03:38 PDT 1999

I beg to differ somewhat.  I think that this entirely
depends on the family and the community.  When my
father died suddenly, my mother and I were not up to
or able to do cooking of any sort.  Our church ladies
came to our house while we were at the funeral and
prepared the house for the family and brought over
tons of food for everyone to eat.  Afterwards, these
same caring ladies asked us what dishes we liked and
would like to have for later.  They then put the
leftovers in disposable containers [so we wouldn't
have to return anything] and put everything, properly
labeled, in the
refrigerater for us to eat when we later felt able and
up to eating again.  We lived on those leftovers for
several days, until we were able to think and start
getting back to a routine.  This is how our church
ladies do every funeral within our church.  I would
never take home leftovers without asking the grieving
family first if they wanted them or unless there was
so little leftover as not to be worth saving.  This is
my opinion.

Huette

=====