SC - Middle Eastern Sesame oil

Artemis of St. Malachy lek01 at uow.edu.au
Mon Oct 4 20:10:23 PDT 1999

Greetings,

I am just new to this list so I apologise if this question has been
answered before.

I'm currently preparing for a feast at the end of October. Several of
our dishes are Islamic in origin and require sesame oil. I've been told
that this is not the same as the sesame oil used in many asian dishes,
and that middle eastern sesame oil is made from untoasted sesame seeds
and does not have the strong flavour that asian sesame oil has. The main
problem is I can't find the stuff anywhere. We have several asian food
stores in our area, but not middle eastern. I will be require a fair
amount of the oil (about 1.5 L) and am wondering if there is a good
substitute for it. I don't know if this sesame oil has a particular
cooking characteristic. I've found cold-pressed sesame oil in health
stores. It was a much lighter colour to the asian sesame oil and didn't
seem to have as strong a taste to it, but the bottle did not say whether
the sesame seeds were toasted or untoasted.

If it helps, the oil is for a recipe called Makshufa. I am using the
translation found in Cariodoc's Miscellany. Its a sweet toffee-like
dish.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Artemis of St. Malachy