SC - mustard

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 11:26:31 PDT 1999

Hello the list!

There is actually no need to use a food processor to grind mustard seeds:
to my mind the mortar does a nicer job, as I like the variation in size
which it gives.  The only extra work is picking up all the seeds which fall
out onto the floor, because I invariably forget to put a bowl under the
mortar first, and the little blighters bounce.  Is there a difference in
flavour between the various seeds?  I only ask because I can't seem to
duplicate the flavour of my favourite mustard (stoneware jars labelled
Pommery) which has _brownish_ seeds, which I've never seen in shops (I've
only found black and yelow).

Cairistiona

P.S.  There is a French company which still makes comfits - I think it's
based in an abbey somewhere - apparently the anise comfits are the most
well-known, but they have about fourteen different flavours, including
lavender and cinnamon (though not mustard), and they are the size of peas.
Maybe we should send in a spy?