SC - Need help with "Compost"

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Oct 5 22:21:49 PDT 1999

Ras replied to my comments with:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << In this case, if they even did grow a specific type of parsley for a
>  specific purpose, I imagine they would use or sell the other portion.>>
>
> They did both Hamburg Parsley and Flatleaf parsley are ancient. Curly leaf
> parsley is modern.
>
>  <>
>
> Inferior roots? Since Hamburg Parsley is grown specifically for the roots, it
> would not have been considered to have 'inferior' roots. Possibly but it
> would certainly have been a waste to raise parsley roots for the pigs.

Yes, but did both varieties grow in the same region? The fact that one of
these is known by a regional name implies that it was not common everywhere.
I imagine they used whatever they had. And that they used the entire plant.
I suspect they used both the leaves and the roots for human consumption.
Even if the Hamburg Parsley has inferior leaves to the Flatleaf variety
for eating, I believe they would still eat the leaves. And vice-versa
for the Flatleaf parsley.

My comment on feeding either the unwanted roots or leaves to livestock
was meant to cover the situation where the inferior parts were so
inferior that they would not be used for human consumption. I still
think it is more likely that you would either eat the inferior parts
or sell them to someone who would eat them. You would not just throw
them out.

The nobility who had the money might have imported the higher quality
variety from elsewhere but those of lower stature may have been quite
happy to get the "inferior" roots or leaves.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****