SC - Re: fruit vinegar drinks

Craig Jones & Melissa Hicks meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Wed Oct 6 12:08:07 PDT 1999

Bonne,

> I just found this last night, it's just a mention, not a recipe.  Does
> anyone know if there a facsimile of the Fettiplace book?
>
> "Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book - Elizabethan Country House Cooking",
> Hilary Spurling, pg 209
> "Lady Fettiplace made a liquor from equal parts white wine and white wine
> vinegar, boiled together with sugar, in which 'To keepe Barberries all the
> yeare'."

Found the following recipes.  Hope these are of use.

Meliora.

To preserve Barberies.
First take barberries & stone them, then wey to every pound of barberries
two pound of sugar, then put all your sugar into a chafar, & put theirto as
much rosevater as will wet the sugar, then set it on the fire, & let it
boyle, & when it boyleth very fast, put in your barberies, & as soone as the
sirop boyleth up you must put downe the barberries; when you see they bee
all shronk take them from the fire, & put them into a basin to coole, they
must boyle verie fast so long as they be on.

To make Conserve of Barberies.
Take Barbaries & pick them from the stalks, then put them into a chafar,
with as much rose water as will wet them but none to bee seene in the
bottome, then set them on the fire, & as they warme still prick them, till
they are all broken, then straine them, & put to the iuice of them, as much
sugar as you think good, then set it on the fire.@ & keep it warme till the
sugar bee melted, then let it boyle verie fast, till it bee enough.

For the yellow Gaunders.
Take the inner ryne of the barbaries, & yellow dock roots, & lay it all
night in white wine and drink it fasting.

A medicine for the yellow laundes.
Take the inner bark of barbarie, and yellow dock roots, steep them in white
wine one night, & let them drink it fasting in the morning.

For the yellow launders.
Take the inner ryne of the barbarie tree, cut it in thin pieces, & make
powder of it, & drink it in posset drink made with ale, in the morning
fasting, & last at night.