SC - My first attempt at hyppocras

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 8 03:49:50 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Tonight I mixed my first attempt at hyppocras. I decided to try
> this recipe from a message quoting Cindy Renfrew.
>
> 8 oz. sugar
> 1 qt. wine
> 1/2 oz. spice powder (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, grains of paradise,
>    cassia flower and galingale.
>
> I was making only two cups of this, so I wanted to halve all the
> ingredients. My first problem was that I don't have a scale. I
> believe a little while ago someone mentioned a good approximation
> for dry ingredients being 1 oz = 1 Tablespoon. Did I remember this
> correctly?

1 ounce of the powdered spices would be _ very approximately_  4 Tbs.
Sugar, however, is around twice as dense, just like water. So is salt,
BTW. An ounce of sugar is around 2 Tbs.

Remembering it bass-ackwards, things with a density of 1, like water,
salt, and sugar, get two tablespoons to an ounce. Less dense things like
flour, etc., get four. Makes a world of diifernce when making pound cake!

> Unfortunately, I found out as I was mixing this that I did not
> have any galingale. Unless I bought some at this last Pennsic,
> the only galingale I had was in some Poudre Forte mix I bought
> from the Pepperer's Guild. Their mix for Poudre Forte is:
> cubebs, cloves, mace, ginger, pepper, cassia, cinnamon (zelanicum)
> grains of paradise). This seems to include most of the spices
> asked for in the redaction. I didn't think any of the spices would
> be badly out of place, with the possible exception of the pepper.
> The spice mix did in fact smell quite nice.
>
> Was this a reasonable, last minute substitution? Having it, perhaps
> I should just use the prepared Poudre Forte instead of the other
> spices in the future?

I guess so. A medieval pharmacist might not agree, though. It might be
the equivalent of leaving out, say, the bismuth in the Pepto-Bismol. It
might taste something like it, but whether it would really be the same
is hard to say from our viewpoint.

> So I think what I made is:
> 2 Cups wine (I used Red Burgundy)
> 4 Tablespoons sugar
> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon ginger
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> 1/4 teaspoon grains of paradise
> 1/2 teaspoon Poudre Forte
>
> I haven't tried it yet. It's still cooling in the refrigerator. As
> I've never had hyppocras before, I really don't have a good idea
> what it should taste like.

Very broadly, it should taste like a somewhat aggressive mulled wine.
That probably doesn't help you, huh? I suggest you try (since you
probably have at least some time) getting your galingale and the other
stuff you need to follow the recipe, so you'll have a good sense of what
the period article probably tasted like. Then, in future depictions,
you'll have scope for experimentation should you choose. Similarly, you
could then use any leftover spice mix from _that_ as you might use
powder forte, which is often a pretty vague reference to strong spices,
and not always a specific reference to a given formula. I've used
powdered hippocras spices for  sprinkling on the tops of various foods,
and also as a flavoring for hard sugar candies, a practice not
_strictly_ supportable by period sources, but a tasty, memorable, and
not unreasonable accompaniment to confits and wafers at the end of a
feast, especially for those who don't drink wine.

> And lastly, I don't see anywhere how hyppocras should be served? Warm,
> room-temperature or chilled? I assume room-temperature, but if it
> was stored in cellars and brought up for the meal, I can see where it
> might be served cool.

The recipes don't say, essentially, but I get the impression you'd make
the stuff, let it steep a short time, then strain and serve, so it might
have been served, most often, slightly warm. Considering its medical
attributes, this isn't inconsistent. On the other hand, recipes for
clarrey, braggot, and other spiced beverages call for large batches
(various barrel-y units), so it's possible these are intended to be made
in advance, which would then leave them to be served cool, unless
specifically instructed to heat them before serving. We just don't have
that information, at least not upon casual research. Hot hyppocras is
wonderful stuff, but room temperature hyppocras isn't a problem for me.

I figure since most of the available period recipes for hyppocras are
pretty clearly defined as to quantities and such (unlike a lot of other
period recipes), it's a shame not to follow them to get a good sense of
what they're like in the flesh. Or the cup. You can get any of the
spices you'd need quite quickly by mail order (or, if need be, I'll send
you some), so I really recommend trying the recipes as written, if possible.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com