SC - potato storage OOP??

Victoria Wilson chaoscat at in-tch.com
Fri Oct 8 11:04:28 PDT 1999

Um, I keep my potatoes in the bottom drawer of my refrig (as well as my
onions), as I do not use them all that frequently.  The cold seems to
keep them fresh longer, as well as slowing down the root growth on
them.  During the winters here in Montana, I have had them freeze in my
truck before getting into the house (long days of shopping, ususally
during the christmas season) and still used them just fine.  Since the
only potatoes I use are the Idaho, I am not sure what would happen to
any other types of spuds.  I do not know if this method is correct, but
the local spud farmers are the ones that told me how to store my spuds
for elongated usage.  I do not seem to have the "green" discoloration
that you folks describe, although I have been told that if you buy them
like that in the store, that they may have been harvested to soon and
are not "ripe" so to speak.

Lady Kinga