SC - bread

Sat Oct 9 05:45:26 PDT 1999

Go away for a week and a thousand messages appear in the mailbox.  Only 390+
to go on the cooks list.

> And it came to pass on 29 Sep 99,, that Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>
> > Your Carl's starter sounds like it has been boosted, although I have
> been
> > able to get fast rises out of scratch starter on a couple of occasions.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "boosted".  The starter I have is from a
> kind gentleman named Carl Griffiths, formerly a regular poster on
> rec.food.sourdough.

A boosted sourdough as you surmise is one to which yeast has been added.  I
was wondering, because the phrasing suggested "Carl's starter" was a
commercial product (which may or may not have yeast added).  From your
reply, he has a good, potent starter.

As for adding dry active yeast to the starter, it might help for a few days,
but most commercial baking yeasts do not fare well in high acid starters.

> > The fact that you do two rises and I do two rises does not eliminate the
> > possibility that Platina's bakers used a single rise.
>
> True.  Which would be less likely to produce a sour flavor?  Platina
> regards that as undesirable.

The sour flavor is from the lactobacilli in the dough and IIRC the souring
does not begin until the environment is anaerobic.  Since working the dough
puts air into it, I would say Platina's single long rise should have the
sourer taste, all other things being equal.

> Brighid

Bear