SC - sugar

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 10 05:08:19 PDT 1999

Christina van Tets wrote:

> Hello the list!
>
> Helen wrote:
>
> >Ok, great info!   But I still do not understand why do UK recipes call for
> >caster sugar in the batter?
>
> in answer to my post
> >
> > >  Hello!  FWIW, the sugar that comes for strewing over things, and the
> >gizmo
> > >  for so doing, are correctly spelt caster, not castor.
> >

> and then Elysant wrote
> >Thanks for the correct spelling.  I was never the world's best at it ;-)
> >

> Don't worry, this is the CMA.  Who cares about spelling really?  I just
> remember the bits that amuse me.  And no, I've no idea why they call for it
> in recipes either.
>
> Cairistiona

Possibly because it dissolves more easily than the coarser types of
granulated sugar? In the U.S. I occasionally run across recipes calling
for "bar sugar", which is finer than regular granulated sugar, but not
as fine as confectioners' sugar, and is specifically for dissolving in liquids.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com