SC -lavendar harvest

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 10 23:10:49 PDT 1999

Caointiarn asked:
>         I let my lavendar plants  (all 5 of them) go to seed instead of
> harvesting the blooms in the summer months.  However, now I am wondering if
> I should harvest some of the leaves/sprigs to dry.  I find nothing in my
> *one*  herbal book  (culpeppers)  about the use for the leaves, yet they are
> also very aromatic.  And from whence does the  "essential oils" come from?
> The flowers as well?

You might want to look at this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section
of my Florilegium. Some of the referances there might give you some ideas.
Unfortunately, if I'm reading the recipe correctly, the only recipe in my
file uses the flowers.
lavender-msg      (18K) 10/13/98    Period use of Lavender in food and elsewhere

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****