SC - Cameline sauce from the 'Vivendier'

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 11 18:11:56 PDT 1999

Thomas Gloning wrote:

> "Pour faire une saulse cameline: prenez pain blancq harlé sur le greil,
> sy le mettez temprer en vin rouge et vin aigre, passé parmy l'estamine,
> canelle assez, et gingembre, clou, graine, macis, poivre long et saffren
> un poy et sel; faictez boullir ou non boullir comme vouldrez; aucun y
> mettent du chucquere." (Scully, Vivendier, 1997, p. 35).
>
> 'To make a Cameline Sauce. Get white bread toasted on the grill, set it
> to temper in red wine and vinegar, and strain it, along with a good deal
> of cinnamon, and ginger, cloves, grains of paradise, mace, long pepper
> and a little saffron. Finish it off either boiled or not as you like.
> Some people put sugar in it." (Translation T. Scully p. 35; follow some
> comments).

This recipe is actually fairly similar to the one in the earlier
Viandier, as previously posted. It's worth noting, however, that Scully,
in _his_ translation of le Viandier, notes the reference to mastic in
one of the manuscripts, and the several references to mace in the same
recipe in other manuscripts, and concludes, rightly or wrongly, that a
scribe misspelled or misread "macis" as "mastic". I'm not prepared to
say, "This is definitely how it is," but it seems fairly plausible that
mace is intended, rather than mastic.  Maybe the scribe was just really
a man, or lady, of taste, and decided that mastic would be better.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com