SC - A Winter food

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 13 06:03:02 PDT 1999

Terri Millette wrote:

> The author of "A proper Newe
> Booke of Cokerye" mentions seasons for several game animals too, and
> says pheasant are good all year round, but that they are best taken with
> a hawk
>
> It's taken best by a hawk, cause buck shot's way too hard on the
> teeth!!
> Fiona

Buckshot's too hard on birds, too, which is why they use bird shot! Ar
ar ar!

Actually, I wonder if this has to do with not rupturing the abdominal
cavity, which, I gather, affects the ability to hang the game. How does
a hawk despatch small game? Or does it just pick it up it bring it in
alive? I know birds of prey tend to disembowel small mammals pretty
quickly, but I'm not sure what their training imposes upon their nature.
Has anybody done any hawking?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy