SC - A Winter food

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 14:20:47 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/13/99 7:28:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wayspiff at ici.net writes:

<< It's taken best by a hawk, cause buck shot's way too hard on the
 teeth!!
 Fiona >>

Barring the use of a hawk, most birds and small game were taken with nets and
traps.

Platina does mention quail as being a winter food, IIRC. Quails and pheasants
have similar breeding patterns.

Since SCA policy currently prohibits purchasing different foods for high
table than what are not being served to the general population, This does not
preclude fixing the same food in a different manner though. :-) I would guess
that the pheasant being served to high table is a donation. If so, then I
would just go ahead and serve it as an extra treat. Many feasts have been
ruined because of outside interference in the kitchen stewards duties. I
would set a menu and be firm about it, personally.

Ras