SC - Syllabub - does anyone have a period recipe?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Oct 15 09:38:10 PDT 1999

>Cindy Renfrow wrote:
>
>> snip
>gave me a Strawberry sauce recipe:  "Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers and
>useful
>& interesting information!
>
>Thanks Cindy,
>
>I just wanted to say thanks and ask questions in respect of the strawberry
>sauce.
>
>"point it with Vinegar, & a little white grease put thereto; color it with
>Alkanet, & drop it
>about,"  OK what is alkanet, what does it mean to "point" it with vinegar
>. . .
>& "drop it about" means what exactly?
>
>Also, if I did wish to use it as a sauce, do you know what would it be served
>with in period.  Ie would it have been served with meat (chicken for
>example) or
>would it only have been served as a sort of dessert?
>
>Thanks again,
>Lorix

Point it with vinegar means to sharpen the flavor by adding a little vinegar.

Alkanet is an herb.  The chopped root immediately releases a red color when
cooked in fat.  About 4 teaspoons alkanet cooked in 2 tablespoons lard
results in a blood red color.  The lard is strained to remove the alkanet &
the lard is used to color your dish.  In this case, you garnish the dish
with drops of red lard and pomegranate seeds.

I like this as a sauce with roasted chicken.  If you make it as a thick
pottage, it can serve as a dessert.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net