SC - 12th Night menu

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 16 19:50:01 PDT 1999

Kerri Canepa wrote:

> Greetings the list!
>
> Here's the tentative menu for our upcoming 12th Night. At present, there are
> three courses but this could be divided up further into four or five.
>
> This is where you fine list-folks can help us. We're attempting to set the
> courses up in concordance with the various humours (the first course having
> those foods that "open" the stomach and the last course including foods that
> "close" the stomach). Your advice on dish placement within this dinner would be
> most appreciated.

I'll need a bit more time to consider this, but you might consider, from
the medical perspective as presented by, say, Tacuinum Sanitatis,
Boorde's Dietery of Helth, and various other sources, that the custard
tarts and the armored turnips be moved to the last course. In general,
sugary and nut-based foods seem to be found in the first course, as are
foods with butter, but not cheese, especially old cheese, as I assume
you're using in your turnips. So, your blankmanger of fish would be
considered right on the money for the first course, even if some might
argue that fish is often not served on meat-day feast menus. We know
that it sometimes was, though, even if it didn't always appear on the
menu. Note that this system is not always followed in extant period
menus, anyway.

Adamantius

> First course
> Bruette Saake
> Blancmange of fish
> Chicken Lombard
> Perre
> Rapeye
> Small Pies
> daryoles/doucettes (custard tarts)
> Armored turnips
>
> Second course
> Pies of Paris
> Ham
> Compost
> Halibut fresh boiled
> Wardyns in sirup
> Tartlettes
> Carrots (parboiled or fried or pottage, not decided yet)
> Hare in Wortys
>
> Third course
> Winter squash tart
> Tart de Brymlent
> Roast of pork w/sauces
> Egurdouce of fysshe
> Turnips w/chestnuts and sage
> Sausages
> Beets (parboiled or fried or pottage, not decided yet)
> Losyns
>
> Hippocras and wafers to close
>
> We also plan to have entrements and spectacle foods as well.
>
> Comments? Please?
>
> Kerri
> Cedrin Etainnighean, OL

- --