SC - Are Kumquats period

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Sat Oct 16 12:42:59 PDT 1999

I have just got access to a tree full of
Kumquats and would like to be able to use
them.

Firstly, are they period and, if so, how
would they have been used in period?

Again, I would like to be able to use them at
a later date which means preserving them.
Would the recipes for pickled lemons be an
appropriate 'period' manner of preserving
them?

Alternatively, I have a lovely modern recipe
for preserving Kumquats (or limequats) in
brandy syrup that I haven't had a chance to
use:

Makes 500g plus syrup.
Ingredients:
450g kumquats
175g sugar
2/3 cup brandy
1 tblsp orangeflower water

Using a toothpick, prick each individual
fruit in several places.  Dissolve the sugar
in 1 1/4 cups water over a gentle heat &
bring to boil.  Add the fruit and simmer for
approximately 25 minutes until tender.  Drain
the fruit and spoon into hot, sterilized
jars.  The syrup should be fairly thick; if
not, boil for a few minutes, then allow to
cool only very slightly.  Add the brandy and
the orangeflower water to the syrup.  Pour
the syrup over the fruit and seal
immediately.  Store in cool place and use in
6 months.

Comments on the above please?

Lorix