SC - ETROG JELLY

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Oct 17 05:28:02 PDT 1999

Jews have a holiday just like Thanksgiving called *Sukkot*  (Festival of the
Booths)  Anyway as part of the religious practices they use a fruit called an
etrog which looks almost exactly like a lemon. When the holiday is over, what
do you do with the very expensive lemon thingie??  You make Etrog Jelly .. Of
course!  Here is a recipe I came across.
Phillipa Seton
*********************************

After Sukkot is over, I may try the marmalade recipe, though it seems awfully
sweet-sounding to me, if my husband is willing to relinquish the etrog. He
sometimes uses it with cloves pushed in for havdalah, or just keeps it in a
desk drawer as a remembrance of a sweet holiday.

ETROG MARMALADE

Source: Guide for the Jewish Homemaker, by Shonie B. Levi and Sylvia R.
Kaplan. Schocken Books [1968]

Citron   Grapefruit   Orange   Sugar

Use 1 grapefruit and 1 orange to each citron available. Wash and dry the
fruit. Peel the thin outside skin of the fruit and cut it into think strips.
Discard all the white pulp,the cores, and the seeds. Cut the fruit into
coarse pieces, mix it with the strips of rind, and cover them in a kettle
with three times as much water. Let the fruit stand overnight.

Boil the fruit and juice for 3 minutes, let it again stand overnight, then
repeat the boiling process and again let it stand overnight. On the third
day measure the fruit and juice, add an equal amount of sugar, and boil the
mixture for 1  hour, or until it is thick. Pack and seal the marmalade in
sterile jars.