SC - Something other than Hungarian and beets.

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 21 09:07:31 PDT 1999

Hi folks,

Just something a bit different. I did a "Thank You" dinner
party a lady I know wanted to hold for some people that were
giving her a room until she got her apartment.

The man is strictly meat and potatoes and his wife is very
adventurous and I wanted to satisfy both appetites.

So here is the dinner we did:

Standing rib roast rubbed with cubebs, sea salt and garlic.
with a horseradish mayonaisse.

Peas and baby carrots simmered in a curry coconut milk sauce.

Twice baked potatoes

Grilled portabellas in a sauce made from the pan drippings and
thickened with almond flour.

Steamed asparagus with hollandaise.

Served with a very nice dry Tuscan wine.

Dessert was coffee and tropical fruit tarts.

It had a nice balance of exotic and down home and they both
really enjoyed it

Okay, other than a pat on the back I do have a point. Has anybody
thought about thickening a sauce with almond flour? It turned out
wonderful.

Another thing. One of my students and best friend was announced to
be knighted last weekend. So I have volunteered to cook his vigil's
"Last Unanswered Buffet". He wants Portuguese and Danish dishes.
Any ideas? I'm thinking the closest I can come to Portuguese would
be Andelusian.  Maybe the cold almond gazpacho.

Anyway this should be fun.

Later,

Gunthar