SC - period Hungarian dishes

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Thu Oct 21 15:03:26 PDT 1999

First, thanks Nanna for your recipe! As a reader of the digest, I hadn't
seen it yet, when I sent my last one out. The collection grows.

Noemi wrote:
<< The other two he gives are as follows, "The carp dish at the feast
was prepared as follows: (...) Another dish was capon in ginger juice
thickened (...)."  If the two recipes you have access two resemble any
of these at all then it is the right source. >>

I let a scanner magnify the small picture in Wiswe but the quality was
still poor and I could not read everything. I have only a rough
transcription that I'd better not post yet. On one hand, there _are_
close similarities between the Lang-version for the carp and mine. On
the other hand, there are also some clear differences. E.g., honey is
only used in case the whole thing should be too sour (from the wine or
the apples); the fish is not roasted, only the roll is; there are other
seasons mentioned (e.g. pepper).

I do not know what to conclude from that. I will get a microfilm and
work on the recipes later ... There is so much to do yet.

Thomas
(Just in case you have an exact reference for the raiding-story in 925,
please share it with me.)