SC - beets

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Oct 21 16:15:09 PDT 1999

In looking through my vegetables-msg file, I find the following in
a message posted to SCA-Arts on May 6, 1997:

> Curiously the red beet with a bulbous
> root was new to Gerard; common beets were white or
> yellow and eaten as greens. (Even in the 16th, beets
> often were called by their French name.)
>
> I'd like to hear what others have found about particular
> vegetables.
> Alysoun
> Middle Kingdom

Perhaps this is the reason that we are having some trouble pinning
down whether the beet portion eaten is the root or the leaves. Two
different varieties of beets each used for different purposes and
the one with the root (the red beet) not being well known in all
areas until late in period.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net