SC - Poke sallet

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Oct 21 18:58:54 PDT 1999

I'm still catching up on my massive email backlog, but wanted to put a
word in here.  Rhiannon, neighbor, the thing to remember about Poke Weed
is that it is edible while green, and inedible once it turns red/purple
(the ones here turn a dark purple, but I can see where climate could make
that into a red, too).  That goes for all parts of the plant, as far as I
know, ie. even if the bottom is green and the top is purple, that has
gone too far to use the green parts.  Never tried it myself, but I grow a
lovely crop every year.
	Christianna
	1 mile west of Rhiannon, wild onion-grass, poke, and all

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:43:03 -0400 rhiannon at madcelt.com writes:
> Thanks, Phlip and Mordonna.  I have heard this could be prepared
> safely, but
> never felt comfortable with it, but I think I'll try it next spring.
> certainly grow it in abundance, especially on the downhill side of
> the yard
> where the chicken coop has abundantly fertilized the soil and the
> monster
> poke sallets grow.
>
> Rhiannon C.

> SCA-Cooks".