SC - Nanna's Danish Cookbook-beets again? :)

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sat Oct 23 04:52:11 PDT 1999

We had this discussion on the Apicius list, here are some exerpts, I
apologize ahead for posting info from another list, but I thought this would
be helpful. I posted my Roman beet recipe a while back, the Rosenbaum
translation indicates roots used (yes this is at the latest 4thC but it is in
period)

Discussion;
Q> ><< Never serve beets. Yes, I'm quite sure I'll never do that again.. >>
A >I have had great results, but used Apicius #98 and #70 as the basis for
> a "pickled beet" recipe
>
Q> For all of those who have used beets, which part of the vegetable do you
> use.  The book where I was able to find the original Latin and direct
> translation along with the adaptation recipe suggested that maybe the
> 'greens' were the main part used.  Any ideas?

A>>Anthimus (writing a bit later, in the 6th century, but fairly clearly in
the same culinary tradition) includes beets in a list with mallows and
leeks as "suitable both in summer and winter". The winter use strongly
suggests roots, although that doesn't preclude the summer use as including
greens.  Heather Rose Jones