SC - distillation

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Mon Oct 25 22:49:35 PDT 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:34:56 EDT LrdRas at aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 10/25/99 1:45:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>macdairi at hotmail.com writes:
>
><< Most just make it
> unpleasant to drink, others make you dead.
>
> Cadoc >>
>
>I repeat NO KNOWN human pathogen can survive the brewing process. Any
>pathogen that could make you dead will not survive the process. I
<SNIP>
>Ras

I happen to know of one that will.

In New Guinea it is known among the Fore (Pronounced FOR-ae) tribe as
Kuru, also known as "laughing death" because it causes "pathological
laughter".
In the early 1910's and 20's it was documented by Dr. Creutzfeldt and Dr.
Jakob and is now known as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans.
It has been long known as scrapie in sheep.
In 1947 1200 Mink died from Transmissible Mink Encephalopathy; with
another outbreak in 1961 and another in 1963.
The most recent cases were the Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) in
cattle that hit England.

The scrapie agent, (AKA: Kuru, CJD, Transmissible Mink Encephalopathy, &
BSE) is what is known as a PrP (for Prion Protein) and is immune to
practically everything. Electron bombardment by a linear accelerator and
strong UV exposure that will reduce the phage virus to one percent
infectivities has no effect on the scrapie agent. Only chemicals and
processes that destroy proteins can reduce or prevent infection.

SOURCE:
Deadly Feasts, Tracking The Secrets of a Terrifying New Plague.
Copyright 1997 By Richard Rhodes
Printed by Simon & Schuster
ISBN 0-684-82360-8

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com