SC - Don't crush that dwarf - older than thou...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Oct 26 21:47:06 PDT 1999

Well well well...

Been interesting hearing how old/young/indifferent folks are. I seem to
fall in the middle right now, which is a singularly odd experience.
Usually when around adults I'm among the youngers, and of course with
Rotrude's 'gang' I'm the relic- the mom, the one who tell them stories
of the 'old days'. Truly weird to be in the middle. And frankly, this is
also the first time I've been 'seeing' someone the same age as I. Weird
to have a cultural context...

However, I grow maudlin. And I have a reason- I'm really bummed out
today. Medievalists had two significant losses yesterday: Deborah Ellis,
a Chaucerian at Southwestern in Georgetown Texas. She infected many
students with her love for literature, and was very well-read and well
written on Chaucer, Gower, and the Pearl Poet. And the other was Father
Leonard Boyle, a Fellow Emeritus at the Pontifical Institute and a
former prefect of the Vatican Library. Never met him though I had
on-line contact, and my mentor, Father Augustine, knew him well. Both of
them a great loss to research and teaching, though one of the ladies on
Chaucer Net remarked that it was heartwarming to think of Father Leonard
in Heaven, arging with the likes of Chaucer and Langland. Pace, Father
Leonard; Pace, Deborah.

Now I have to go deal with my own feelings of inadequacy and scholastic
waste. *Sigh*

'Lainie