SC - Re: prions

Thu Oct 28 14:13:58 PDT 1999

> . I am fairly certain the!
>  gov't wouldn't let us know if US cows were infected until a good number
> of people came down with it.
> Sorry so long, but it's something I know a little about...
>
> Aislinn Columba of Carlisle

Actually, the figures for the USDA disease eradication program have been
meticulously kept for decades.  There are occasionally challenges to the
figures over sampling techniques, changes in methods, and the basic criteria
of the program, but most people accept the data as being valid.

Both the US and Canada regularly examine cattle for BSE.  Over the past
couple of decades, there has been one identifiable case of BSE in Canada and
it was found in an imported cow.

The related diseases in humans are tracked by the CDC.

Bear