SC - wafers

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 05:15:56 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/1/99 12:26:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< Did your wafers brown in blotches or evenly overall?

Yes

 You cooked the wafers the day before the feast?   ---yes, I kept them in
sealed containers
How did you serve them? I placed the "dish of snowe" in the center in a
fluffy pile, polished up some pretty red delicious apples, used an apple
corer/slicer (makes nice 1/8 wedges ) tied the apple with gold ribbon so it
didn't fall apart (I also sprayed the apple with lemon juice/water to prevent
browning.This let the feasters see the plate and then untie the ribbon to
partake in dipping them into the snowe. The original also calls for sprigs of
rosemary, as if this is snow on the branch of an evergreen tree.  Then I
placed the waffles around the "snowe" and gave a slight sprinkling of
confectioners sugar (I know it contains cornstarch, but this was a feast for
over 100 people, I didn't take the time to grind superfine sugar) this step
can be omitted as it doesn't really follow the original recipe.
MMMMMMM!

Did
 you serve them cool? I had gotten the idea that wafers should be served
 warm and fresh, so I hadn't considered it workable for a normal SCA feast. >>
 Yes I served them cool, but I'm not sure how you could serve them hot,
unless you flipped them off the grill onto someones lap. They were nice and
crunchy when cool. I tried rolling them and didn't have much success. It was
also very time consuming, and I weighed the different ideas about
presentation and such. There are also commercially available pizelle's here,
(Windsor) the recipe is very similar AFAIK except the wine,

Did you say you were using a pizelle maker or a regular waffle iron. The
pizelle maker produces very thin beautiful lacy stylized cookies .

Let me know what you think.

Hauviette