SC - Pickled Cherries are Russian?

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 1 12:34:35 PDT 1999

Bonne of Traquair wrote:
>earlier this summer I posted re: my experience making pickled cherries and
>making a drink syrup with the leftover pickled vinegar.  Someone stated that
>the pickled cherries were a traditional dish in Russia. I'd like more
>information on that if the person is still around, or if anyone else has
>heard this.

That would have been me!  I know that cherries were preserved in syrups and
in kvas in period, but I'm still looking for a vinegar-type preserving
technique.

>From the _Domostroi_ (period sections only):

p152 Cherries in syrup

p154 Preserve pears and apples in syrup and in kvas, berry or cranberry
juice.  General admonishment to preserve fruit--fallen apples, cucumbers,
melons, and the like. (This could include cherries)

p155 "...put nutmeg in one little bag, cloves in a second, beneficial herbs
in a third...warm these on the stove and mix them with the mead...mix
cherry juice with warmed wine and put it in a jug, combine raspberry juice
and wine in a second jug, and add wine to prepared syrup in a third.
(okay, this only involves cherry juice.)

p176 Preserve apples, pears, cherries and berries in brine (either a salt
or a sugar solution, Pouncy says it was probably a honey and water sol'n, I
guess because of the previous mention of cherries in syrup)

So I haven't found anything yet with cherries in a vinegar-pickling
solution, just sweet brine or syrup and possibly a salt brine.  But as the

Yana (Ilyana Barsova)  jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
         http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
"Shchi da kasha, pischa nasha"
       -- Cabbage soup and kasha are our native food