SC - bread

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 11:44:13 PDT 1999

Hello the list!

I'm finally here in Outremer, and as a result have a small backlog (about a
dozen lists) to get through, so please forgive any cows I'm inadvertently
dragging out of ditches (Belgian expression for the waking of sleeping
dogs...)

As to the bread rising twice or once, I tend to do whatever is convenient at
the time, partly because I enjoy the two different versions of bread they
produce.  I cannot remember which I did for the attempt with the cooking
pot, but both would have had the same effect (ie.  the skin being formed on
the top, the bottom still being squishy).  As all my baking tins are large
and rectangular I made the decision to cook on the floor of the potjie as
though it were a normal period oven (I could not remember seeing any
description of bread baked in a tin from within period;  all the recipes
requiring hoops etc. create cakes IIRC).

Cairistiona