SC - Guinea Pig

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Sat Oct 2 09:34:08 PDT 1999

Guinea Pig ir still eaten in the North of South America, in Ecuador,
Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela and Mexico, but is virtually unknown and "not
edible" in the south of South America, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.
The only recipe I got is from Peru.

Guinea Pig stew

Cook the meat until tender in water and herbs (It says "hierbas", not
any name
Take the meat off and make a thick gravy of potatoes and corn
Put the meat again into the gravy and let the all cooks very slowly

Regards
Ana

LrdRas at aol.com skrev:

> In a message dated 10/1/99 9:22:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> maryhh at exploremaine.com writes:
>
> << I have been reading/lurking for some time now and I think the list has the
>  resources to answer my questions. >>
>
> Possibly. :-) Guinea Pigs are not WAY out of period. They were eaten and
> known at the time of the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire onwards. Well
> within SCA period.
>
> <<Does anyone have any recipes for guinea pig/cavy?>>
>
> Actually this has been discussed on this list before and I have all the posts
> stored on one of the several hundred unlabeled unorganized discs I have.
> However, if MY Memory Elysant serves me right, I recall that milady Brighid
> did post an actual recipe at the time.
>
> <<hat does it taste like? >>
>
> Chicken. :-) Actually it tastes closer to pork than chicken but can best be
> described as tasting like guinea pig.
>
> << I understand they are a South American delicacy. >>
>
> Don't know if it is a 'delicacy' in South America but it was the only
> domesticated animal raised specifically for food by the Inca SFAIK.
>
> The only 'recipe' I personally remember many details about consisted of a
> casserole of stewed unknown stuff over which the guinea pig, having been
> cleaned but NOT skinned was cut into chunks and the chunks were put in a
> layer over top of the stew. After cooking it was eaten by lifting the chunks
> of guinea pig by the fur and sucking off the meat.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ras

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster