SC - Need help with "Compost"

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 3 20:36:01 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I was thinking of them eating these "inferior" roots, but possibly
> they would feed them to pigs? Anyone know what was used to supplement
> what the pigs foraged for themselves or even if this was done?

I'm sure practice varied according to place and time, but one way to do
it would be to feed the pigs various vegetable scraps, bean husks, spent
malt from brewing, that sort of thing, and then, in the autumn, allowing
them out to forage for mast on the forest floor: chestnuts, acorns, that
sort of thing, maybe the odd truffle. This appears to have been fairly
standard practice in the American South, for example, until this
century.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy