SC - Spanish salmon recipe (was: Spanish noodles)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Oct 4 12:31:35 PDT 1999

At 9:25 PM -0500 10/3/99, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>Elizabeth gave her redaction of a Salmon recipe:
>Thank you, both Brighid and Elizabeth. One question though on this
>redaction. Why *1.9* pounds of salmon? This seems like an awlfully
>exact measurement. Is this what you just happened to have on hand?
>And fifteen threads of saffron? Seems like a lot. Or do you Elizabeth
>like saffron as much as Cariadoc seems to dislike it?

1.9 pounds is what I happened to buy; since they sell it by weight, the
label gave the exact weight and I recorded it. That's enough salmon so that
15 threads of saffron isn't a huge quantity to use with it.

>Do late-period Spanish recipes show a greater use of saffron than
>elsewhere? Since saffron was grown in Spain, and I presume was cheaper
>there, perhaps it was used in greater quantity there? Or are the
>amounts unknown and simply up to the recipe interpreter?

This recipe didn't give any amounts, so I used what I thought I would like.
I don't know enough about late-period Spanish cooking to answer the rest of
that.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook