SC - Hauviette's Confits

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Oct 5 15:22:01 PDT 1999

I've got a large beautiful illustration from Diderot's Encyclopedia
(~1750s), that shows a confectioner's shop.  I can send a copy of this to
whoever wants it, but it's very big.

The illus shows 3 confectioners, each at his own work station. 2 have large
round flat-bottomed pans with handles, suspended from the ceiling on ropes
with hooks; the pans can rock back & forth.  One of these 2 fellows has a
funnel suspended high over his pan with a hook.  This is to be filled with
syrup, & as he rocks the pan with both hands, the sugar drips down onto
whatever he's coating.

The 3rd fellow rocks his pan back & forth over the open mouth of a large
barrel.  Each worker has a brazier full of coals next to him, with a pan of
syrup placed over the coals.  There is a crossbar on top of the brazier to
prevent direct contact of the syrup pan with the coals.  Each pan of syrup
contains a large spoon.

There is another of these large pans in the background, sitting on what
looks like a warming oven.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net