SC - stoves/fireboxes

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Tue Oct 5 16:10:19 PDT 1999

Greetings

I have not seen the photos, but I toured the Hampton Court kitchens.  The
roasting hearths and baking ovens were located along the exterior walls.
There was a partition that divided the kitchen in half.  Along the base of
this partition was a white-washed, brick counter with 8 holes in the top.
This was the heating stove.

Interesting things:
1 - there was no flue/chimney for any of these stoves, but the roof was
   2.5 stories above the floor in that area (plenty of smoke room)

2 - each oven had a separate fuel hole below the pothole.  This was done,
    so each pot could be "set" at a different temperature. Very neat idea
    for individual temp. control

3 - the heating ovens were adjacent to the work tables where the coffins
   were set for filling and the serving platters were loaded for carrying
   to the Great Hall.  The pots were 5-8 quarts, so I assume they were
   used for sauces and other "small" volume items.  120 +/- coffins
   may have been set out near the stoves, because that's where there was
   work space, so I assume the filling for 120+ pies was cooked elsewhere
   in the room.

this is making me hungry

in service,

Ariann