SC - Hauviette's Confits

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 16:43:45 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/5/99 6:26:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
renfrow at skylands.net writes:

<< There are several kitchen illustrations there
 (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food-art/ ).  I think the one you're talking
 about is main kitchen.gif  from Scappi.  >>

Actually you are correct. I must have seen the picture I am talking about
another place. The offset stove in the back right corner of the kitchen in
the picture at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food-art/main_kitchen.gif is a
small version of what I had in mind. However, I think that I am going to
retract my original observation of solid flat topped cooking services for
pots. After looking at all the pictures on the site it would seem that the
cooking surfaces were constructed with various sized holes to accommodate
various kettles.

This does not negate the fact that the cooks (or at least the fire tenders)
were very much aware of the qualities of the woods, amounts and sizes to
burn, etc., and they would have had little or no problem maintaining whatever
constant temperature was needed for a particular dish. Anyone who has used a
modern wood stove quickly learns these skills and it is then no more mind
boggling than adjusting the flame on a gas stove.

Ras