SC - whole wheat

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:09:29 PDT 1999

Hello the list again!

I have been having fun going through the shops here in Beersheba, and while
most of the food is similar to stuff I've found elsewhere, I have a couple
of questions.

1.  I've found whole grains of wheat for sale - they're cheaper than rice or
barley, so I may well be using them a lot.  They're also really badly
threshed, and full of stones, but we'll let that pass.  So far I've just
treated them like rice (fry onions and whatever else comes to hand, fry the
rice a bit, chuck in water and let cook), though they seem to use about 3
times as much water as rice does.  My question therefore is:  Does anyone
know of any recipes (preferably but not necessarily period) which are
specifically for wheat grains?

2.  Is there any other fun ingredient I should be looking out for while I'm
here?

Thanks for your time

Cairistiona