SC - Maestro Martino da Como

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 9 06:04:40 PDT 1999

Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

> What is the PPC.  As I am attached to a local university, perhaps I can see
> it they receive it, or suggest that they do.
>
> Thanks Frederich

Petits Propos Culinaires is a journal of culinary history and related
food esoterica, published three times a year by Prospect Books. It has
provided some wonderful -- no, indispensible -- resources for
recreationists, such as in-depth discussions on how murri is made, and
the recent translation of Ni Tsan's fourteenth-century Chinese recipe
collection. Frequent contributors include Charles Perry, Barbara
Santich, Alan Davidson, C. Anne Wilson, Karen Hess, Andy Smith,  and
numerous other luminaries in this weird field we are interested in.
Someday I'd like to have something published in PPC. Maybe a little
piece on cuskynoles...

Ras is right, however, in that the journal is a bit pricey for a
hit-or-miss proposition. The last time I actually subscribed to PPC, I
recall an inordinate amount of space being relegated to what amounted to
a flame war in the letters to the editor on the subject of why
photographer's cake is called photographer's cake, with one party
maintaining that it was the result of photographers, who used to use egg
whites in their plate emulsions, needing to find a use for the leftover
yolks, and the other party maintaining that the first party wouldn't
know a photographer's cake if it got up and bit him on the hind
quarters, and his momma dresses him funny. Or words to that effect.
UseNet is where I expect to find stuff like this; it is as entertaining,
ultimately as informative, and much cheaper.

That being said, though, I have  a cookbook store near my son's school
which sells copies of PPC (and back issues!), so I can go and see what's
in the latest issue and decide if it's worth the 8 bucks. Interestingly
enough, it usually is. I can see that someone might not want to spend
even the subscriber's price for issues on subjects they might not want,
but since it is cheaper to subscribe than to buy all the issues
separately, it probably evens out in the end. And some people _are_
interested in photographer's cake.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy