SC - Martino citations

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Sat Oct 9 10:01:37 PDT 1999

I'm making my way through Mary Ella Milham's 1998 translation/critical
edition of Platina's De Honesta Voluptate and she includes several
citations for Martino, although they're probably not easily accessible:

Milham, "Martino and His De re coquinaria," Medieval Food and Drink, The
Center for Medieval and Early Renaissance Studies, vol. 21 (Binghampton,
NY, 1995), 62-66.

Bruno Laurioux, "I libri di cucina italiani alla fine del medioevo: un
nouvo bilancio," Archivio storico italiano 154 (1996): 45-54.

Aldo Bertoluzza, Libra di Cucina del Maestro Martino de Rossi.

Claudio Benporat, "Il recettario di Martino de Rubeis nel contesto della
cucina rinascimentale italiana," Appunti di gastronomia 13 (Feb. 1994):
5-14 and "Maestro Martino e i soui ricettari," Appunti di gastronomia 14
(June 1994): 5-13.

Milham, "Platina and Marino's Libro de arte coquinaria," Acta Conventus
Neo-Latini Hafniensis:  Proceedings of the Eigth International Congress
of Neo-Latin Studies, edited by Ann Moss, Philip Dust, Paul Gerhard
Schmidt, Jacques Chomarat, and Francesco Tateo; general editor, Rhonda
Schnur, MRTS, vol 120, Binghampton NY, 1994: 669-673.

Emilio Faccioli, L'Arte della cucina, 2 vols, Milan 1966.  Vol 1:
Martino, 115-204.

Milham, "The Manuscripts of Platina's De Honesta Voluptate and of its
source, Martino," Scriptorium 26 (1972): 127-129.

E. Montorfano, Libro de arte coquinaria, Maestro Martino da Coma (Trent,
1993).

Joseph Vehling, "Martino and Platina: Exponents of Renaissance Cookery,"
Hotel Bulletin and Nation's Chefs (October 1932): 192-195.

In addition to the Libro de arte coquinaria, she notes the other
manuscripts of Martino are MS. Washington: LC Med. MS. 153; MS Vatican
Urb. lat. 1203; MS. Milan: formerly Chiesa Coll.  I have no idea what
any of this means, but I'm sure someone out there can explain it.  She
says that the recently discovered 4th manuscript at Riva del Garda
proves that his name was Martino de Rossi, and he was employed by the
Dukes of Milan before he became chef to Cardinal Tresvisan.

John le Burguillun
Barony of Nottinghill Coill
Atlantia