SC - Scone Recipe - OOP (Was: Graham Flour)

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Oct 9 12:08:47 PDT 1999

Raoghnailt asked...
>....I make a mean
>> graham flour scone based on a recipe that a family friend brought
with
>> her from Scotland.
>
>Recipe, please.

Sorry I took so long for this...been busy.

Graham Scones

1 cup flour
1 cup graham flour
2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Shortening
1 Egg
2/3 cup Water

Cut until crumbly with a pastry blender, all dry ingredients and
shertening. beat egg into measuring cup and set aside 1 tbsp.. Fill
cup with water until 2/3 cup is reached, Stir into the dry ingredients
until mixture is soft slightly sticky type mixture. Turn dough out
onto a floured surface and knead lightly 8-10 times. Pat to thickness
of 1/2" and cut into scones. Place on ungreased sheet and brush tops
with reserved egg. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

I also make these while I'm camping. I mix at home until just before I
add the liquid and just ziplock it for use. I lightly grease the hot
griddle and bake that way, turning until brown and done. Nothing quite
like these warm with homemade strawberry preserves. As well, when
doing food groups these are great made ahead and frozen for the first
morning camping (fairly delicate).

Micaylah