SC - white sals

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 18:10:01 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/10/1999 8:35:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LrdRas at aol.com writes:

>  In a message dated 10/10/99 6:27:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  margali at 99main.com writes:

>  << Any chance of getting Cariadoc's white sals recipe
>   we made at Pensic?
>   margali

>  The white sals recipe 'we' made at Pennsic was my recipe. The translation
of
>  the recipe was in Cariadoc's Collection of Medieval and Renaissance
>  Cookbooks, Vol. II, The Book of the Beloved; 'White Sals'.

Hello Margali,

Here's the recipe for White Sals for you.   Credit for redacting this recipe
actually goes not only to Lord Ras, but also to myself, and to Puck. :-)

Elysant

Original (translation)-
White sals. Walnut meats, garlic, pepper, cinnamon, white mustard, Tahini and
lemon juice.

Redaction-
White sals
(copyright c 1999 Ras, Elysant, Puck)

1 cp. Walnuts
2 cloves Garlic
1/8 tsp. Black pepper, ground
1/2 tsp. True cinnamon, ground
3/4 tsp. prepared mustard (see notes below)
2 Tblsp Tahini
Lemon juice, as needed

In a food processor combine walnuts and garlic until they form a smooth
paste. Put walnut mixture in a bowl. Add pepper. cinnamon, mustard and
Tahini. Mix thoroughly adding lemon juice by the teaspoonful until a smooth
very thick mixture is achieved.

NOTE: There is a description of mustard as prepared in the medieval middle
east in another section of Caraidoc's Collection. We used a modern mustard
that most fit this description. Any country-style mustard would work.