SC - Syllabub - does anyone have a period recipe?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 14 03:38:24 PDT 1999

Lorix wrote:

> Now, as the fruit is seasonal (and cause the
> Baroness has requested serving of copious
> quantities of strawberries) it is cheaper for
> me to buy in Dec/Jan & freeze but I have
> found that when defrosted the fruit is really
> squishy.
>
> Hence the syllabub idea.  Now I have some
> lovely OOP recipes for syllabub, but I was
> hoping that someone with a better library
> than mine might have a recipe, please,
> please?

Hmm. I don't believe I've ever heard of strawberry syllabub. Would you
be thinking of a fool, by any chance? Syllabub is a foamy/creamy
concoction usually made with wine. A fool uses fruit, normally mixed
with whipped cream or a custard-y element. They tend to be pretty late
period, though, IIRC. I'll see what I can find, but what immediately
comes to mind is any of several variants on fresees, a sauce or pottage
made from thickened, strained strawberry puree. Basically the equivalent
of syrosye, made with strawberries instead of cherries.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com